Totals exceeding 100mm impacted parts of Queensland on Wednesday from the remnants of ex-tropical cyclone Dianne.
Saddler Springs in the Central Highlands topped the gauges with 141mm while Evans Head in NSW received 87mm.
The wet weather is set to shift to northern and eastern Queensland on Thursday with rain easing across much of the state's southern inland.
But major flooding continues in western parts with warnings current for multiple rivers and creeks that are not expected to ease for some days.Â
Floodwaters are then expected to move into parts of North West NSW next week as Queensland's flood waters head south.
That could leave communities isolated for some six to 10 weeks.
Flooding the size of NSW has impacted western Queensland, with water levels exceeding records set more than 50 years ago in some areas.
Homes have been inundated, communities evacuated and fences destroyed across the region, triggering fears of significant livestock losses.
About 150,000 sheep, cattle and goats have been lost but the full extent won't be known until water levels eventually ease.
"The impact (of) that for individuals will be massive, but also for the communities," Queensland Premier David Crisafulli said of the livestock losses.
"Agriculture underpins these communities and they're going to take a long way to get back on their feet.
"This recovery will take months and years."
The premier said he was working with the federal government to assist communities with repairing fencing among the priorities.
Total fencing damage to date is estimated at around 3500km, with almost 5000km of private roads also impacted by flooding.
"We will be working with the federal government to explain how important it is that we develop packages to be able to get that exclusion fencing back up and running," Mr Crisafulli said.
"If it's not, we go back to the bad old days of wild dogs running, roaming free, of proud industries being at the mercy of Mother Nature."
Assistance grants of up to $75,000 have been announced by the state government for affected primary producers.
In NSW, the search for an elderly man lost in floodwaters has been suspended.
The Sydney man believed to be aged in his 70s was swept away when he tried to drive across a flooded causeway 100km west of Taree late on Saturday
"Police were told an SUV towing a caravan had been swept into floodwaters," a NSW Police statement said.
The vehicle was located the next day but the man remained missing when the extensive search was suspended late on Wednesday.